Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Oatmeal Pancakes


We have been on a pancake kick lately.  I think that it started when my oven broke. But, no one is complaining. You may have noticed that I have a tendency to go on food kicks, like my muffin kick or my sweet potato kick. Hopefully, you won't hold this against me.

These Oatmeal Pancakes require a bit of planning though because the oats need to be soaked overnight in buttermilk. This overnight soaking is what gives them their characteristic texture. The first time I served these to my kids I didn’t tell them that it was a new recipe. They didn’t even notice that they were different than regular pancakes. That kind of surprised me because they are heavier and chewier than other pancakes. No matter, everyone always eats them gladly.
  
Oatmeal Pancakes

2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
½ cup white whole wheat flour
2 T. raw or white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Measure out oats and buttermilk into a large bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Pour batter onto hot buttered griddle and cook until bubbles on top pop (about 3-4 minutes). Flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. Serve hot with butter and syrup. Yield 12-16 pancakes.

Frugal Tip: Serving a homemade breakfast is always better for your body and your wallet!

This post has been linked to Frugal Tuesday Tip.

1 comment:

  1. You are giving me so many breakfast ideas! Thank you so much! For some reason it's the one meal of the day where I am the most lost. Especially now that I've banned sugary cereals from the house along with all the other overly processed food.

    You're a life-saver! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...