Friday, June 1, 2012

Friendship Bread

I have to say that I devoured this book! This novel revolves around a friendship bread starter that took over a little town and brought hope and healing with it. Friendship bread is made from a sour dough starter that multiplies, meaning that you have to regularly find friends to share your starter with. For many years, I kept a starter myself, but grew tired of it and decided not to maintain a starter once I moved to Texas. After reading this book, I will definitely be creating a new starter as soon as I get settled after our move! And, contrary to what this novel states, the starter does NOT have to be multiplied. Maybe sometime next month I will share my version of friendship bread with you.

Friendship Bread written by Darien Gee

When Julia receives a plate of friendship bread along with a starter, she is not so sure that she is interested in doing any baking. But, her daughter convinces her otherwise. And, this one starter begins the healing process for Julia who had tragically lost her son. Eventually, Julia builds two unlikely friendships with Hannah and Madeline who are both dealing with their own hurts and new beginnings. And, as the starter spreads through their small town, it brings about friendships, restoration, and new opportunities. Finally, Julia rallies the townspeople to bake friendship bread as a way to bring encouragement to local flood victims.

This book really exemplifies the importance of community and the role it plays in our lives. The small town attitude to care for and support one another is something that we all value. This book made me want to get into my kitchen to create a starter immediately to share with my friends and neighbors. The recipes included were some that I had not tried in all of my years of friendship bread baking, and I am looking forward to testing them out after our move. This book was a quick read and would be perfect to take to the beach. And, if you need a bit of inspiration in the kitchen, this book will give it to you. Plus, you just might decide that friendship bread is a great way to get involved in your community!

To learn more about this weekly reading report, click on the tab above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...