Thursday, May 10, 2012

Toad in the Hole


I have a confession: my kids and I are not in love with eggs. We eat them on occasion, but not regularly. Now, my husband is another story. He loves eggs and has, at times, eaten them every day for breakfast for weeks on end.  But, eggs are a versatile and frugal food, so we decided to try this recipe out. It is so simple it can hardly be called a recipe.  I made this for myself earlier this week for lunch. And, since it turned out to be so quick and easy, I decided to serve Toad in the Hole for dinner last night.  My kids definitely loved the name and the way this looked on their plates. Although this recipe did not convert us all into egg lovers, I will certainly make it again.
  
Toad in the Hole

1 slice of bread
1 egg
Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add a small amount of butter to the pan, coating the pan evenly.  Cut a hole in the center of the bread, using a cookie cutter or a small glass. Place the bread in the skillet. (You can also cook the bread circle that you cut out, to serve on the side.) Crack open the egg and gently pour into the hole in the bread.  Cook until the egg has set. Then flip and continue cooking until desired firmness (less time for a runny yolk, more time for a firm yolk). Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

This post has been linked to Try New Adventures Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. My younger girl loves eggs! We went to IHOP for her bday dinner on Sunday too. :p I've seen this on Pinterest but with the heart cutout, but haven't tried it. I like my eggs a little more cooked, but I think hubby will enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to use a cookie cutter! My little one would especially love that.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love these! Especially with lots of butter. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything is definitely better with lots of butter!

      Delete
  3. When I was a child, I used to eat this with syrup on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a sweet tooth do you? When I was a kid, I liked to put jelly on toast and then put scrambled eggs on top. Sounds bad to me now, but I remember doing it every time we had eggs (which was almost always for dinner, not breakfast).

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...