Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bacon Grease


Although we love bacon, we don’t eat it very often. The price tag seems a little high to me; especially when you consider all of the fat that is left over after cooking it.  So, it has become an occasional treat at our house. However, when I do cook bacon, I always save the grease. The last pound of bacon that I cooked rendered ¾ cup of grease! While still liquid, I pour it into a glass bowl and refrigerate it for later. I then use it as a cooking fat for searing pork chops or other meats. It is also great to use when making gravy. (I’ll tell you more about my gravy technique next week.)

Being mindful of food waste is a way of life for our family. However, for many this is new and unfamiliar. If you are learning to cut down your grocery bill, you may want to click on the Something for Nothing tag (located on the sidebar in the list of recipes) to see other recipes for kitchen scraps that you might typically discard. Or, click on the Frugal Tips tab above to learn some other ways to cuts costs on your food budget.

If you have a Something for Nothing tip, please share it in the comments below. I would love to learn what works for you!

This post has been linked to The Thrifty Home Penny Pinching Party.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same and love how some of my meals taste using the bacon grease! Great tip for those who don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love the flavor that it adds too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...