Friday, May 18, 2012

Reading Report

Last week at the library, I picked up a book that I had as a child. I remember reading it over and over again, so I thought that my kids might like it too. All three of my kids enjoyed reading it. And, all three of them read it multiple times. But, best of all, it created a desire for them to pop popcorn together and eat it as a family. Quality time together indeed!

The Popcorn Book written by Tomie de Paola

This is a fun book that teaches kids about the history of popcorn while incorporating the fun of how to pop it at home on top of the stove. The facts are understandable for pre-school children and yet interesting enough to hold the attention of upper elementary school kids. And, the foible that the kids find themselves in the end makes this book both educational and entertaining. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to draw their kids into the kitchen for some fun family time; or, to anyone that would like to integrate educational value into story time.

The second book that I would like to tell you about is one that I received for free as a review copy from Bethany House. Please know that I have not been compensated by this company to write this review; and, all opinions expressed here are my own.

The Messenger written by Siri Mitchell

This book is a work of historical fiction that takes place during the Revolutionary War. The main character, Hannah, is a Colonial spy. Along with her partner, Jeremiah, they diligently work together to free a group of prisoners. Among these prisoners is Hannah’s brother. However, Hannah’s Quaker faith creates a moral dilemma within her soul that causes her to battle fiercely with her understanding of right and wrong.

Although I enjoyed this book, I found it difficult to dig into at first. It was a quick read and the story was compelling; but, I probably would not have picked this book up had I not been offered a review copy. However, I would certainly say that Siri Mitchell is an excellent writer and that if you are looking for a quick read, with entertainment value, this would be a good choice for you.

To learn more about this weekly reading report, click on the tab above.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

    Happy reading,

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, I'm glad that I had the chance to read The Messenger!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...