Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5 Grain Hot Cereal


I have always loved multi grain hot cereals. However, they can be quite pricey at the grocery store. This is a homemade version that is simple, nutritious, and economical.  It is naturally sweet, so be careful not to add too much sweetener at first. I like mine topped with cream, but it would also be good with nuts and/or dried fruit sprinkled on top.

5 Grain Hot Cereal

1 cup old fashioned oats
½ cup brown rice
½ cup barley
½ cup white whole wheat flour
½ cup corn meal

Add the oats to a blender and process until it becomes flour consistency. Pour into a quart sized Mason jar. Repeat with the brown rice and pour into the jar. Repeat again with the barley and pour into the jar. Add white whole wheat flour and corn meal to the jar and shake to combine. Cover and store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 cups

To serve: To a sauce pan, add 1/3 cup cereal and 1 cup water. Turn heat to medium high. When it begins to boil, turn the heat to low, simmer and stir until desired consistency (3-5 minutes). Serve with sugar or honey and cream or milk to taste.  

This recipe has been adapted from the one found here.

This post has been linked to Frugal Tuesday Tip.



4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! This sounds delicious! I love multi-grain cereal, too, and am trying (due to lack of pantry space) to buy more whole ingredients and combine them myself. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give it a try. I'd love to find out what you think.

      Delete
  2. Does this have the consistency of cream of wheat? My kids love cream of wheat, but I haven't been able to find a good whole grain option. This sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had cream of wheat since I was a kid. I think that it might be a bit smoother than this cereal; however, it's definitely a similar consistency.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...